There are many variables that can affect the performance and durability of your roof, and that’s why it’s important to schedule periodic maintenance by an experienced Wilmington Delaware roofer. To begin, consider the typical signs there’s something amiss.
Signs You May Require Roofing Repair
1. Do you have leaks? The most obvious sign that you may need a new roof is to find water inside your home. Periodically check the attic, especially after storms or in case you notice a buildup of ice. Look for signs that water has penetrated your roof because it is likely that significant leaks inside the home originate in the attic. However, water can also flow a considerable distance – for example, through beams or inside walls – from the point where it infiltrates to the point where it is finally noticed.
2. Ice accumulations form when the snow melts, goes down the slope towards the eaves and freezes. As more water comes down and the ice builds up, it can run up and get under the asphalt shingles, with the possibility of it penetrating the roof. it may not be necessary to replace the entire roof to correct this problem. Maybe some tiles have been blown away or a flashing has been broken, and this has caused the roof platform below to be exposed to climatic factors, but you need an inspection, preferably by an experienced Wilmington Delaware roofer, to determine potential problems.
3. The growth of mold or mildew in the ceiling (ceiling) or walls can be a sign of leaks in the roof, the result of condensation problems or even a simple matter of plumbing. Verify that the insulation is dry, that your home has adequate ventilation and that the fittings and pipes of the bathroom are not leaking. This type of problem can generally be corrected for a lower cost than replacing the roof.
4. When removing the leaves from the gutters in the fall, you may become aware of some granules that accumulated in the drains. But this could also be common, depending on the age of the roof tiles and the normal wear and tear. If the amount of granules is excessive, it can be cause for concern. But what amount is considered “excessive”? Thus, another reason to hire a roofing professional.
5. The structural problems sometimes are not taken into account as a possible cause of leaks from the roof. The roof-line can sink regardless of the age or architectural style of the home. In older houses, the roof can be supported on wooden beams, which can deform and curl over time, or excess moisture or a heavy load of snow can be the cause. In new dwellings, structural integrity may diminish as a consequence of the natural settlement of the soil or, even, by seismic activity.
As the owner of a house, you will be responsible for all the maintenance and repairs of your property. To help ensure a safe and healthy recovery from all the seasons, schedule an inspection with a professional Wilmington Delaware roofer.